Bitwarden is a powerful password management solution with some great features and excellent security. You can easily create strong and unique passwords for all of your accounts, control access to passwords, share them securely between team members, and have the strongest possible privacy for your company without impacting the productivity your workers, but is it the most secure password manager on the market?
Bitwarden provides the highest level of security via 256-bit AES encryption for your passwords. This essentially means that there is no possible way for cybercriminals to access the Bitwarden’s servers and steal your passwords. Even Bitwarden staff and administrators cannot access customers’ vaults as there is zero-knowledge architecture. Additionally, as Bitwarden is an open source product, its source code is available to anyone to inspect. Many security researchers have checked the code and have failed to identify vulnerabilities and the solution has undergone a independent security audit and is committed to regular third-party security audits to prevent potential weaknesses from appearing. No major issues were identified and recommendations made have all been implemented. It is compliant with Privacy Shield, HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA, and SOC2 security standards, so there will be no danger of breaching any data privacy legislation. For these reasons, it is widely regarded as one of the most secure password managers currently available.
For users of the Bitwarden platform there are two options for password storage. Firstly, passwords can be easily stored on Bitwarden servers by enabling cloud-sync between all devices. These passwords are then protected by the aforementioned 256-bit AES encryption in addition to a secure SRP handshake. Some users may feel safer storing their password information locally, especially if they have strong network security. Bitwarden will allow this at all levels of subscription, including their free offering. There is no limit to your storage space as Bitwarden allows you to store an unrestricted number of passwords across all devices, operating systems, and browsers, and you can sync your data either through the cloud or through your local network.
Compatibility is also not an issue as Bitwarden can be used with practically every browser available – Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and many more niche browsers – with browser extensions. Operating system compatibility is also great, with the solution supporting Windows, MacOS, and Linux, and there is a mobile app for Android and iOS and a web app.
Bitwarden Password Management Features
- Simple migration from existing password managers
- Open-source password manager with source code transparency
- Can be deployed in the cloud or self-hosted.
- Secure password sharing between teams with auto-delete options.
- Ongoing security audits by external cybersecurity specialists.
- Compliant with data privacy legislation including Privacy Shield, HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA, SOC2 and SOC3.
- End-to-end encryption.
- Support for directory synchronizations, multiple integrations, including integration with your current identity provider for Login with SSO
- Command-line client to manage programmatic integrations
- Advanced password authentication for integrated IAM/ICAM management and biometric unlock on browser extensions
- Auto-fill login credentials and card details securely
Bitwarden Advantages for Users
- Better password hygiene and easier password management for all users.
- Easily create strong, unique passwords for all accounts.
- Access your vault from any device.
- Safe password storage in the company Bitwarden vault.
- Compatibility with almost every device and browser.
- Audit trails for tracking user and team access to databases, etc.
- Excellent free tier for personal users and small businesses
- Very competitively priced subscriptions
Whether for business or personal use, Bitwarden makes it straightforward to create and store unique, complex passwords from any location or device. Corporate users should be comforted by the excellent security, open source code, security audits, and end-to-end encryption. This is definitely one of the best password manager options currently available for business and personal use, and one of the leading free password management solutions.